This is not gluten, dairy or sugar free. It is my grandmothers recipe and holds a very special place in our hearts.
230 grams margarine/ butter
1 ½ cups sugar
4 cups self-rising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
A pinch salt
2 cups milk
3 teaspoons vanilla essence
1. Cream together margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, ensuring a smooth and fluffy texture.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a jug, combine milk and vanilla essence.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients gradually, alternating with the milk-vanilla mixture.
6. Be cautious not to overmix to avoid a cracked cake.
7. Pour the batter into a greased cake or cupcake tin.
8. Bake at 180C - 15-20 minutes for cupcakes, 35 minutes for a cake.
9. Once cooled, unleash your creativity and decorate to perfection. Enjoy your homemade delight!
450g unsalted butter or salted - (if using salted butter omit salt)
3 cups powdered sugar/icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla or vanilla bean paste (to taste)
1 tablespoons cream or water
Pinch salt (to taste)
1. Soften the butter at room temperature until it's easily spreadable.
2. In a bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy, smooth and the colour has lightened.
3. Stop beater, sift in all the powdered sugar, vanilla or vanilla bean paste and a pinch of salt, adjusting to taste and cream.
4. Beat slowly at first to combine ingredients. Once combined continue beating on high speed until the buttercream is light, fluffy, and delicious!
5. You can use a few drops of purple colouring to cancel out the yellow if you want your icing white.
6. Use this heavenly creation to frost cakes, cupcakes, or anything your heart desires. Enjoy!